Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convergence and Design Verification with CFDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahinoz

Industrial
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hi,
I am new to CFDesign and was running some trial analyses on my computer the other day. Basically I was trying to compare two different valve geometries and measure the cfm. However, my results never converged. Called tech support and was told that results do not need to converge unless I am running the analysis to match lab datas, I am not trying to match lab data here, however, how do I trust a result that doesn't converge and compare it to another? With my solid FEA background, this didn't sound right at all. What do you all think about it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do the problems converge in inviscid mode?

Does the mass flux in/out balance on a time-averaged basis in viscid mode? What turbulence model are you using?

Remember you are solving a time-stepping equation, and the answer may be that large-scale vorticity causes the flow to fluctuate across the outlet (I assume here you have a fixed mass flux or fixed velocity at the inlet). Try modelling a long pipe on the outlet, to allow the flow to become a "fully-developed" pipe flow, this should reduce this problem, and you should see better convergence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back