Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Convergence issue in simulation with buckling and contact in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 29, 2024
BR
I am attempting to simulate the buckling problem of two concentric tubes in Abaqus, with the larger diameter tube being rigid.

To simulate contact, I have used the following conditions:

- general contact, all with self, type edge to edge, radial direction

The post-buckling analysis is conducted with automatic stabilization using default values, and friction has been neglected.

I conducted a mesh refinement test on an example considering a mesh of PIPE31 elements with lengths of 2m, 1m, 0.5m, 0.25m, and 0.125m. I am considering the first buckling mode and a 20% imperfection.

My expectation was that the problem would converge with mesh refinement, or that the time values would remain consistently constant; however, this did not occur.

Element length - time
2m - 0.056
1m - 0.139
0.5m - 0.054
0.25m - 0.053
0.125m - 0.048

Is this type of behavior common in contact problems with geometric nonlinearity in Abaqus? If not, what suggestions could you provide to solve the problem?
I am attaching some simulation files.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=101bb940-8488-42d3-8153-8bceaf2e3597&file=contact_buckling_abq.rar
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you try with regular beam elements too (as advised in your previous thread) ? They are fully supported and commonly used with general contact in recent versions of Abaqus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back