Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convergence issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel08

Bioengineer
Sep 24, 2008
AU
Hi,
I'm modelling a structure using a bilinear material model.
At yeild, the tangent modulus is set to 5% of initial modulus. I'm having problems with my solution converging. The force appears to converge, but not the displacement. I am guessing that this is because once my modulus is significantly softer I am starting to get large displacements. I have set nlgeom to on. Is there a way I can remove the displacement as a convergence constraint or any other suggestions for dealing with this.
Thanks in advance,
Mel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mel, with “Nlgeom, on” you activate the large deformation but the displacement convergence is still active. Probably the maximum value of plastic strain is more than 15 % in your model. You can increase the criteria with "Cutcontrol , PLSLIMIT, value" command.hope that helps.

Regards
Jalil

Thanks Jalil,
yes, in my output i have a note that plastic strain exceeds 5% and then begins bisection. The solution eventually converged, but I think that this cutcontrol will be very helpful!!!
Thanks!!
Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back