Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conversion fro PRT files to DWG files

Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterbug

Industrial
Jul 23, 2008
US
Hello -

I have a client who needs to convert prt files to dwg files. Any programs I can download or purchase for less than $1000 to assist him in doing this? Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Part files to drawing files??? Are there drawings even made? You'll need to hire someone or a company to create the drawings by hand.

--
Fighter Pilot
Manufacturing Engineer

Fighter Pilot is correct. Unless your mistaken on what they need.

Going from .prt files to .dwg files is impossible because .prt files would just be models which are used to make drawings which are the .dwg files.

Now keep in mind that each software saves their drawings with different extensions, but are generally capable as exporting out in another format.

Dale DiSalvo
Sr. Mechanical Designer (Contractor)
Pro-E WF2.0
Missourian = "SHOW ME"

DWG Files can also be 3D models.

If you or your client already have Pro/E and AutoCAD, then converting a 3D PRT file into a format can be done for free using an open source tool called Meshlab (
I occasionally have to bring Pro/E models into a program called Raynoise for our Acoustics guys to do their stuff. Raynoise opens DXF files, so this was my motivation when I worked out this method.

Your parts have to be SOLIDS for this to work.

1) Save your 3D PRT file into an OBJ file format using File-->Save As.
a) Set your tesselation options in the dialog box. Small chord size = finer model (larger size).. find the happy medium
b) Experience has taught me that for multiple part assemblies, it's best to export a separate OBJ file for each part. A pain, I know, but it can make life easier down the road.

2) Open your OBJ file in Meshlab, and then Save it as a DXF.

3) Open the DXF in AutoCAD, assign layers, cleanup where necessary (this is where saving assemblies as separate OBJ files comes in handy.. because if you export everything together, it's very difficult to separate things later on)

4) Save the ACAD file as a DWG.

Done!

Hope it works out!

You need to get the two parties together and compare notes.
What can one export that the other can import.

Pro/E Exports
IGES & STEP
ACIS (WF or 2001 and subsequent?)

AutoCAD Imports
ACIS
IGES & STEP (depends on purchased options or 'vertical' apps)

(Autodesks translators are relatively spotty. Not all geometry types supported
by a particular translation protocol are necessarily supported by the Autodesk
implementation. Solids are a good bet, surfs and crvs may be iffy.)

-Jeff Howard (wf2)
Sure it's true. I saw it on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back