Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

conversion of cubic feet in m3

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo65

Marine/Ocean
Nov 11, 2003
PK
hi,

I have very simple question

what is the conversion factor for converting m3 to cubic feet.

is 1 cubic meeter is equals to 35.31 cubic feet.

is there any pressure and temprature adjustment is needed in this factor.

bye

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are right. 1 cubic foot is equal to 0.028317 m[sup]3[/sup], by definition.
Thus no correction needed for temperature or pressure.

Turbo65,

If you are talking about simple volume measurements, the conversion is correct. However, I suspect you may be comparing Normal Cubic Meters to Standard Cubic Feet, as might be used for flow rates of, say, natural gas. There are slight differences in the reference pressures and temperatures, which makes a slight difference in these flow rates. Actually, these are usually expressed in NM^3/day or SCF/day (or hour)

Regards,

Speco (

Thanks for all who respond to my thread,
Speco you are some what correct assuming that this conversion is for gas flow. but it it from normal cubic meter to normal cubic feet. i further explain , We have gas flow meter installed provided by gas company. The meters are with pressure and temprature compensation means m3 reading is final. Problem is that gas company started new formula for billing. They are charging for mmbtu. they have to convert our m3 reading in cubic feet and the using the formula MMBTU=consumption in cubic feet x average gross CF(GCV)/1000,000. they are using the converison factor 1m3=35.49390 cubic feet. This the thing which isincreasing our monthly bill .5% from normal. I discuss the company but they insist that the conversion factor is correct. I hope u all now understand the situation .
need ur syggestion.

turbo65.

For a more exact conversion of U.S. units to SI units, Perry VI states 1 ft[sup]3[/sup]=0.02831685 m[sup]3[/sup]. Thus 1 m[sup]3[/sup]=35.3147 ft[sup]3[/sup]. Good luck.

the exact value is : 1 cuft = 0.3048^3 m3

also... if they are charging per MMBTU how is the BTU content of the gas measured?
gas companies many times inject CO2 to maintain the pipeline pressure!!!

having said so, the only true billing would be to have an on line btu/cuft (cromatograph) measurement and then calculate the weighted average of BTU/cuft and flow over time.

HTH
Saludos.
a.

saludos.
a.

Abeltio, the 0.3048 figure you use is for going from metres to feet, it is not for cubic foot to cubic metres.

Cubing the 0.3048 factor to get the conversion factor from cubic feet to cubic meters gives 0.0283..... per the previous post.

TD2K, sorry, but my posting is absolutely correct...
as you mentioned... 1 ft = 0.3048 m, then...

using the [^] to mark the exponent x^3 = x*x*x, sometimes also seen as x**3 = x*x*x...

[1 cuft = 0.3048^3 m3] my posting
then
1 cuft = 0.028316846592 m3... exactly...

Saludos.
a.

saludos.
a.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back