Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conversion problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wchowe

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2002
US
Hi all,

I have been trying to use a heat exchanger formula and have been unable to get it to work out in both imperial and metric numbers. This leads me to believe I have something wrong. I am trying to solve for flow, using Load, density, Specific Heat,Delta T. When I convert each units and run the equation again in english units I don't get the same answer for flow. I get 1.5 lpm in metric, in english it should come out to 4 gpm,instead I get 2.6 gpm. The coolant is water @20C. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So why are your temperatures so radically different? 4°C = 7.2°F

TTFN
faq731-376

DELTA T, not absolute T

You yourself stated that the temperature of the coolant is 20°C, which means that the 4°C is the temperature DIFFERENCE. Temperature difference in Farenheit:

T1*9/5+32 - T2*9/5+32 = (T1-T2)*9/5, where T1-T2=4°C

TTFN
faq731-376

You're right! I was looking at it wrong. 24-20=4C 72.2-68=7.2F. Perfect. But the equation still isn't coming out with 0.396 GPM? Now I am getting 1.42 GPM. I know 1.5lpm=0.396 gpm its not solving. I have to admit, I don't work in this area often.

I am using Q*7.481/(T*60*Cp*p)
T=Delta T
Cp=Specific Heat
p=Density
Q=Load
cu ft of water = 7.481 lbs

Thanks
Bill

I think the conversions are correct, for Q, Cp, p, and Delta T now. I cannot get the same answer in metric and english for flow? 1.5 l/m should come out to 0.396 gpm? Flow is the problem........

Thanks
Bill

Yup, agreed. I just wrote too fast, made an error. Density I have right on spread sheet at 62.22 lbs/cu-ft

Thanks
Bill

I know the flow is not the same, thats the problem I am not resolving. I started with
Q=1500w
Delta T=4 C
Cp=4.182 J/gC
p=998.29 kg/m3
When I use the above in the formula I get 1.5 l/m

The problem occurs when I convert.
If I take the equivalent english units for the above
Q=5118 btu/hr
Delta T=7.2 F
Cp=0.99885 btu/lb F
p=62.321 lb/ft3
insert the new values into the formula, I should come out with 0.396. The problem is I get 1.42 gpm which of course is not equivalent to 1.5 l/m?

I was asking for help, because its not obvious to me where the error is? Using the same formula with either units should give equivalent answers? Correct?
The only thing that I didn't look at was Specific gravity. I believe its not involved becasue waters Sg =1.

Thanks
Bill

Your last conversion is incorrect. It's supposed to be a multiplication by 60. The natural SI unit for J is W/s. Then you left off the conversion for L to m^3 or kg to gm, i.e., the 1000 should be 1000/1000=1.

TTFN
faq731-376

I recommend that you get a calculation program that understands units, like Mathcad or SMath. I spent more time trying to figure what you did wrong by hand than it took to type in all the calculations in the Mathcad, which did the conversions seamlessly, and did not require recalculating to get the English conversions.

Oh, see, I got the units wrong, W = J/s, because I did it by hand.

TTFN
faq731-376

Thanks for the help. I should have gone back to canceling units, that is basic engineering. Appreciate the help. Have a good day.

Thanks
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back