Convert On-Off Valves to Control Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowrentstuff

Computer
Dec 30, 2022
ID
Background Story:
I'm looking for a control valve that can control the stream to the desired flow. What I found in the domestic market are mostly Actuator valves, an On-Off type valve. I asked some sellers if it is possible to make that actuator to control the stream flow (like with 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% opening), and then some said yes, while others said no. They said it's possible just by adding a positioner. But I have my doubts.

The Question:
- Is it possible to convert the On-Off valve into a Control valve?
- Does the actuator in the control valve and the on-off valve have different assemblies?
- How can adding a positioner would help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Obviously this isn't enough information. But generally I would expect to need a new actuator and positioner for a retrofit.

Whether or not the valve is a good fit for the service is an entirely different question.

There's a world of difference between a valve which can control flow and ones which only isolate / turn on and off.

So

Is it possible to convert the On-Off valve into a Control valve? - IMHO, no. The valve type used for on/off (ball, plug, gate) is often not suitable for control purposes. So 25,50,75% open will mostly NOT correspond to 25, 50 or 75% flow. You need to know what your valve characteristics need to be.

See
- Does the actuator in the control valve and the on-off valve have different assemblies? - Usually yes.
- How can adding a positioner would help? - It gives you feed back on the position of the valve.

If you want or need a control valve, buy a control valve. There are many many versions available on the market. where are you, Indonesia?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@shvet, I need a control valve for a small project (domestic use). It's applied to small flow rates up to 15 lpm, max pressure up to 5 bar, and it doesn't need high accuracy. What I need is for it can be fully closed, half open, and fully open and affect the flowrates at downstream.

@LittleInch, yeah I'm in Indonesia. While I might find a control valve from the business sales, it's hard to find one from the marketplace, especially with a low price. Moreover, they often think that the on-off valve and control valves are the same thing. At least people here are good at tinkering, but I don't want to be scammed.

Anyway, thanks all for your answer.

Why not just use two cheap on / off valves and in one of them add a manual control valve (tap or radiator valve) downstream and just open one or the other for full flow or then whatever flow you set on the manual valve. Might be a lot easier and cheaper.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Solenoid valves can be used as control valves using time proportional control or straight digital control with two identical valves. One valve open is half-flow, two valves open is full flow. If waterhammer is an issue, add a pressure bladder tank as a capacitor to damp the pressure spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back