Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert to Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychman

Computer
Apr 29, 2009
US
Hello everyone. I am looking for a cable that will convert a IEEE-488 cable to a serial input for a computer. Does such a converter exist? If so, where could I find one? I'm not an expert, and so google searches have not been helpful for me. Any suggestions and/or advice would be great. If you need additional information, please ask and I will be happy to provide it. Thanks in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try searching for GPIB to serial converter.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

There is not 'cable converter' available. The protocol and interfaces are just too different. There may be a serial to IEEE-488 gateway out there but it would need to resort to a proprietary protocol to do the interfacing. If you are just needing to connect IEEE-488 instruments to a PC there are a number of PCI based solutions and I believe I have seen a USB version. National Instruments makes a good line of PC based 488 boards and interfaces.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back