Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert to sheet metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADSkills

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2007
US
I tried to search, but i seem to get zero results. Im sure this has been asked before.

But anyway. I've created a .par file. Is it not possible to, with-in that .par file, convert it to a sheet metal part? I cannot locate the command.

Although i did locate the command in a .psm file. Why would i need that command in a .psm file? If i started a new sheet metal part, wouldn't that suggest that i plan on creating sheet metal features? It would make more sense to me to have this command or be able to add this "convert to sheet metal" command in the .par file.

I've modeled a part which could easily be converted to sheet metal but, but i don't find a command giving me the ability. Maybe i'm missing something. It seems that command is only used in the event you've created model featured that could easily have been created as sheet metal features.

I created a flat shape and now would like to put a bend in it. Instead of modifying my initial sketch i'd like to convert the .par to a .psm and add bends. I'm fairly sure this can be done in other software.

Thanks for the advice!

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The command is indeed only located in SheetMetal Environment. Insert your part as a part copy, then convert it to SheetMetal.

Some companies always start in SheetMetal Environment, from where one can switch to Part Environment to start modelling anormal part.

So, for short: Insert Part Copy of your part and hit the 'Convert to SheetMetal' button.

IJsbrand

Thanks. I believe i remember reading something similiar to what you stated, but just couldn't remember it.

Another question. By inserting into a .psm as a part copy, Even though its a "copy" will there be any relations or links between the new sheet metal part and the original model. Is this a possibility in any way?

thanks again!

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

I'm going thru the steps now and i notice that i should be able to keep the 2 file linked to eachother.

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Yes you can. When placing the part copy there's an option whether or not you want the files to be linked.

From SheetMetal, in the applications menu, there's the easy way: Switch to Part.

That way not only the files are linked, but the features are remained and all is in one file.

IJsbrand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back