Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Units Command Restrictions/Considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nl12345

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2023
US
Hello everyone,

I need to merge a modfem that is inches with another that is in mm. I have used the Convert Units command within the model that is in inches and the primary errors I have been receiving are:

• ELEMENT WITH ID = XXX HAS AN INTERIOR ANGLE POSSIBLY GREATER THAN OR EQUAL 180 DEGREES
• Surface XXX has no facets

It should be noted that these errors do no exist prior to using the Convert Units command.

Based on these errors, my questions are:

• Are there any restrictions/considerations to the Convert Units command?
• Why do some surfaces get deleted through the Convert Units command?
• Is there a better method to accomplish this task?

Thank you all for your help in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello!,
I use a lot this command and not any problem here, never!.
If I have to convert THE FULL DATABASE of an inches model to MPa & mm I will do the following:
• First issue command TOOLS > convert units > load > USCS2SI.CF answering YES to question "OK to recalculate factors prior to Conversion" always.
• Repeat command TOOLS > convert units > load > IDEAS_from_m_N_degK_to_mm_N_degC.CF

This way the FULL DATABASE (not only geometry) will be automatically coverted to mm & MPa, N, Tons and density in Tons/mm3.

If you still has problems please post your FEMAP model here and we can take a look to it, thanks!.

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back