Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Converting a soccer-specific stadium to cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbrubb

Structural
Aug 1, 2023
US
ICC dimensions are about 420x450. Eden Park is about 367x410', so quite a bit smaller ofc but was built before field standard minimums were instituted, therefore exempt. This scenario doesn't have to meet ICC, although that would be ideal, it just has to be something bigger than Eden Park rather than nothing at all. Eden Park is home to the All Blacks so rugby is close enough to Soccer as a comparable but the layout is pretty wide and not close to rugby action as it could be for modern soccer fan. (I know it's old and been reno'd)

I'm wondering if something purpose-built for soccer can finesse its way into a cricket layout of at least 400x420', or some size between eden Park and ICC regulations. The default field length would be about 420' as is for socxer/football and generally soccer fields are 280' from seating on one side to seating on other side, so that's about 120' to make up the difference somehow, or 170'+ to be ICC Complaint.. Can outdoor bleachers telescope back in some fashion to recoup that playing area and then maybe temporary grass can be installed?

Rose Bowl in LA is 300' from seating to seating across field. Bryant-Denney Stadium IN Tuscaloosa AL (U of Alabama) is another interesting comparative as it's 320' across because it has a field-level walkway around. That would give 47' of space to make up to catch Eden Park or 80' to get to 400' which is more between Eden Park and ICC regulations.

Asking 450' is probably a bridge too far for a soccer stadium but I'm curious how big a cricket ground one could get with soccer/football layout being sole-focus? Doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough as the soccer layout comes first. Eden Park has those higher walls which is fine, as long as it CAN convert itself.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what forum this should be in, but this one certainly isn't it. You should delete/red flag this post and then post it again somewhere that makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back