Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Adobe (PDF) to MS Word 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2001
DE
This may not be the correct forum, but here goes;

I have an original document in *.PDF format. I want to convert this to Microsoft Word so that I can edit it. I have used 'Save As' and choose '*.doc' as the save option. When I do this the format is 'all over the place', headers, Jpegs etc all messed up. The document is very large so it would take a lot of manual correction to put right.

Any suggestions?
I tried the ADOBE website but found nothing. I have 'Adobe Professional 7.0'.
Of course no probelms with the package in every other respect, just this one issue.

Cheers,
Speedy
[cry]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Speedy,

You could try "PDF Converter Professional 3" by Scansoft. It claims that it can convert a PDF file into a MS Word document but I have never tried it and don't know if there are any limitations. I use it to convert various files into PDF and create a single file for a final report. Anything you can print can be made into a PDF.

-Mike

Another option you may wish to explore is "Solid Converter PDF", you can download a trial version from the Net. It is very good once you have played around with it for a while to become familiar with the various settings, also very reasonably priced. You csn then save the modified file back as PDF format if you wish or keep in Word Format. Hope this helps.

The only really honest thing to do is to contact the author and ask for an original or a revision and re-issue. If they won't then you are in the wrong. Part of the basic reason for a pdf is to make unauthorized changes difficult to make and to preserve the original intent and wording by the author.

I use Solid Converter and it is very good. I also make heavy use of Adobe PDF-writer to create PDF documents.
About contacting the author to ask permission, if the author was that concerned about modification of his PDF documents, Acrobat writer has all the tools embedded to prevent converting, copying, modifying, extraction of graphics or even printing. Documents can be signed invisibly with electronic signatures, and have version control.
The best buy was the $250 for Adobe Acrobat Writer, followed by $30 for Solid Converter.

Thanks for all you input.

As for the issue about the original Author, basically we hit a dead end. It's a long story but we do own the document so no worries in that regard, perfectly legitimate.

Thanks again,
Speedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back