Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting an AutoCAD LT file into.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfisher42

Civil/Environmental
Jul 22, 2005
US
I would like to know how to convert an AutoCAD LT file into an image I could use in MS Word, Excel, or PPT.

I have done it before, however I can't seem to remember how today.

thanks for any help,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are going to use the .doc on a machine that has ACAD loaded, you can just select the objects in ACAD and Copy and Paste into Word. The object will be inserted into Word, and you can still edit it; double clicking will open ACAD.

But, I don't know what happens if you send the doc to someone who doesn't have ACAD.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

When using Windows copy and paste, first make the background color white and all the objects black, then resize the AutoCAD window so the objects just fit the window. Then select, copy and paste special a Windows Metafile or an AutoCAD object. The Metafile is smaller. Both work well. If you choose to paste an AutoCAD object and send the Word doc to someone without AutoCAD, that is OK - they just cn not edit the object.

You can set up a plotter in plot manager to plot to a file type you need (eg TIFF, JPG, etc...) I cannot speak for the quality but that is usually the initial way to try.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Thank you IFRs for the info.
I tried your method, however the image pasted into Word is not clear (I think the image is to large to read the wording on the drawing).

thanks again,

I have a different approach. I use Acrobat 6.0/7.0 professional to convert ACAD files into a picture format without disortion. Office XP loves pictures. Hope this helps.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back