Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting files from lates pro-e version to old pro-e version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

machineman

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2003
ZA
Hello,
Does anyone know if it is possible to open pro-e files from the latest pro-e release into pro-e 2000i. Is there a converter software? anyone.

thanks in advance,

MMan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,
I also have sought such a converter, but didn't find it :(.
I have heard from many sources (including from the official Pro-User mailing-list) , that it exist no backward converter from PTC, so one must redesign his part for old version :).

cheers,

Ichwan

Hi Amish,
i think this not the right reason, because the pro/e model file contains only the data, i.e the interface. So it must be possible to "cut out" data, that not compatible to the previous version, this means : backward converting.
Many Pro/E Users argue, that this is a strategy of PTC to force people purchasing the newest version :), sorry if you are one of the PTC programmers.

cheers,
Ichwan

It is not possible to do this yet. ProE2002 "Wild fire" will have a save as funtion in it which will allow you to save files in 2000i2 and 2001.

The only way at this point in time is to export the files in neutral format and re-import them, the only glitch is you will nolonger have parametric models.

Ya, 2002 can save down to earlier versions. Sounds simple huh? Well, knowing the quality of OPTC software I would be sceptical on the 100% conversion. I am not sure what will convert and not convert. It would be wise to evaluate the conversion before trusting this new functionality with your product data.

Oh, PTC also says that starting with version 2002, they will be focusing on the customer. Whew what a concept!
Looks like they have to smarten up with all the mid-range CAD systems nipping at thier fat heels.

A WORK AROUND? You may want to convert to STEP, IGES etc... crappy advice, but, it is your only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back