Converting helix based surface into sheet metal - is it possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihalj

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2009
US
Hello,
is it possible to create sheet metal out of helix based surface (thickened or non-thickened)? I did try to create pure sheet metal (as part in the attachment, but when it is flattened, only curved part is shown and straight disappears). Now I am trying to get the part made in surface and to be able to be flattened as one (straight and curved piece showb at the same time).
Thanks in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=21d70d2d-e530-4c2c-b540-aee7f6e62a59&file=SurfaceToSM.SLDPRT
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like SolidWorks sheetmetal is using limited number of features and your contraption is not on the list.

Try to create simple basic body from flat and a cylinder. Make it sheetmetal. Then cut off unneeded material to create helix body.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Thanks for much simpler solution, however I still don't get it why it cannot create sheet metal out of thickened surface (uniform thickness, formable,radius very large, so I don't see any obstacle)? In general then do you know what kind of surfaces can be converted to sheet metal? Thanks a lot for helping.

mihalj,
We live in the world that is not perfect.
SolidWorks will produce sheetmetal from flat surfaces.
Cylinders are OK but not full cylinders - they have to have gap.
Cones - also with restrictions.
SOME lofts - read the manual.
Also results of your operation may be different on different machines - amount of memory, version of OS, version of SW, so there is no absolute guarantee that the same trick will work everytime everywhere.
And finally, never ever use wireframe or surfaces in your SolidWorks design - always work in solids.
We live in the world that is not perfect. This is why our goal is to keep things simple.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back