Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Microchip PIC to alternate PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daltondix

Electrical
Jan 16, 2005
US
We are currently using a Microchip PIC12F509-I/SN on one of our products, but the lowest price we can find for this particular PIC is through Digi-Key. In order to find a cheaper solution, what is the method for transferring the code to an alternate (and less expensive) micro? We used the Microchip PIC only for development due to it's ease of use for prototypes, but now we're ready to move into production. It does not need to be re-programmable either, but Microchip does not offer a once-programmable alternative.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no alternates of different brands that you can just change to code over to. You can rarely even do that inside a brand as there is always something to trip that up.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Thank you for your reply, Keith.

I realize the code cannot be simply used in another micro, but what is the process to convert the code to be used in another micro? Or do I need to start over and write a completely new program depending on which micro we go with?

That relates to another question of mine... how does a person find similar micros made by different manufacturers? Is there a guide or website where different micros from different manufacturers are compared functionally?

And yes, .60 cents each is WAY too much for this product (disposable consumer electronics). It's by far the highest cost component. I've seen similar micros in musical light-up LED suckers that cost .75 cents retail.

Also, unfortunately, Digi-Key offers no price break on quantities over 100 for this micro. Since production is going to be in the 10,000 range, we expect a discount on such a large quantity.

Your best bet is to get the price down on what you have, not change processors that costs $$$ too.

$0.50 at 10k pieces 45,928 available? Good enough?

Otherwise to change processors. Presumably you have the source code for the PIC. Presumably it's C code.

You then hunt for your alternative. Making sure it is way cheaper. If you are serious about getting the price down you should be considering die, not not packaged ICs.

Find your cheap alternative. I would suggest looking at Zilog.

Then you have to "Port" the code. This is essentially moving it over to a new processor. It is hand done. It is a process that is greatly reduced if the original code is in C.

You'd work thru the I/O assignments for compatible hardware. This will include making sure you have the required support peripherals on the new platform. Like timers and an on-board oscillator, watchdog, if required, etc.

There are other aspects you need to watch too,(that could be show stoppers), but you probably know this if you are embarking on this endeavour.

Next you work thru the new platform's initialization requirements.

Then you prove the hardware.

Then you port the actual algorithm over.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Keith, where did you find the .50 cent price at 10k??? It's still too high (shooting for around .20/ea or less), but it's better.

Yes, I have the source code and yes, it's in C. It's actually a very simple program. I've been working with the programmer personally.

I'm not familiar with Zilog, but I'm perusing their website to see what they have to offer. So their pricing is normally on the lower side?

"Porting" code is not my forte, but if this is the route I need to take, I will need to hire some outside help with this. Got any references?

If you go to Microchip's site directly they will quote anything as they sell directly too.

Digikey is rarely a "great" price.

I suggest Zilog just because they once built the finest micro money could buy, the Z80, but lost traction and have struggled since. They generally have good prices and bend over backwards to supply your code tool chains and such. I recently saw an ad of theirs that showed a very low pin count processor/dev tool.

I don't know what Zilog charges for their low end micros. It may not be a better price, it's just a guess.

Since I do stuff like this I don't really keep track of others that do it. Any embedded developer that understands PIC hardware and firmware should be able to help you though.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back