Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting non-native SE Part to Sheet metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdevill

Computer
Dec 12, 2006
US
We have migrated from Ideas10m3 to SE V17sp5 and many of our parts that were converted to Solid Edge .par files are better suited to be a .psm file. I've been going through the converting of some of these Part files to Sheetmetal and just would like to get some opinions if I am taking the scenic route or if there is a more direct approach of what I am doing. Some of these do not have a common thickness so I'm having to take my .par and delete all of the surfaces/faces except for the outside layer. Then I have to also delete any deformities and use a bounded surface to patch the hole shut. Once I can add the common thickness to the part I can then save it out as a .xpk file and open that in Sheet Metal on a .psm template and then add the deformities back on as true features. It feels like a lot of work but compared to recreating the complicated parts it does get the job done.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried to run the Convert to Sheet Metal command in SE sheet metal environment? What kind results do you get?
Ideas created some weird geometries in their sheet metal parts, for instance, they allow to create self-intersected flanges, which may cause failure on downstream features such as unbend/rebend.

Yes that was part of my issue from the start was that the Ideas data had some surfaces (the bends) that looked to be moved just slightly onto a falt surface that I can to fix those before I could get the common thickness to come out correctly. Once that was fixed the Convert to Sheet Metal would work. I take off all of the deformities because they convert to a mess of surfaces anyway and it is much easier to make them a true feature so that they can be patterned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back