Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Pro/E drawings to another format without Pro/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilsonT

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2010
CA
Hello,

My company bought a product line from another company. This other company used Pro/E to create their drawings. I use Solid Edge and I can't open Pro/E drawings. Is there a software package that my company can buy that converts Pro/E drawings to another format, such as DXF?

By the way, we've already asked the other company to convert the drawings. Unfortunately, that is currently not part of the agreement.

Any help or suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, the answer is no. There are companies that specialize in CAD conversion, usually it is expensive. I would think you would want the solid models converted too using IGES or STEP. How many drawings and models are you talking about?

Thank you for the response.

I can open the Pro/E parts using Solid Edge and convert them myself. We do have PDFs or TIFFs of the drawings. But those cannot be edited. The problem that I'm currently running into is that the resolution of the PDFs and TIFFs is too low for creating silk screens. So the supplier has to recreate the image from scratch.

I did a quick search of Pro/E parts and drawings on my company's server. It looks like there are hundreds of them. However, there is some duplication and I'm sure there are older revisions that I wouldn't have to worry about.

We've used programs like Adobe Illustrator 10 (an old program) to convert PDF copies of CAD generated drawings into DXF formats. From there they can be be imported into Solid Edge. YOu may need to resolve Font issues and be careful about scaling any drawings done this way.

I'm sure there are lots of people with Pro/E that can do the conversion (as ProEDesigner00 offered) for a fairly reasonable price. It is pretty much a one button job to create a DXF file from a Pro/E drawing as long as you are not too fussy about colors, layers, etc.

I would not create DXF from the PDF files if their resolution is already too low.

Do you know what release of Pro/E the files were created in?

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a few days. I've been very busy on other projects...

We do have PDFs and TIFFs of the Pro/E drawings, but the resolution is too low to use them to make silk screens and labels.

I have been researching vendors that do CAD conversions. So far, the pricing I received was $25USD per drawing and $50USD per drawing, which is too high. As dgallup pointed out, it's a one button job. I used Pro/E for nine years at my old job and I know have to make DXF files with it.

I don't know for sure which version of Pro/E was used to create the drawings. I do know that the company that created the drawings is currently using Wildfire 3.0. But some of these drawings are old and may have been created using Pro/E 2000i.

NX has an option for opening Pro/E files.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back