Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting Pro/E to import into Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmh2208

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2004
US
I have read the posts regarding using Pro/Desktop to convert the files to IGES. However, that program is no longer available free to download. Has anyone confirmed the integration of the decrypter for SW2004SP2.1 or found a good way to do it. I downloaded the PS exchange software but they want you to pay for the translation, and you can't import assemblies, only parts.

Thanks,
B

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The decryptor became avaialble in SW04 SP2.0. It works extremely well but it's not perfect.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Is it something that you have to install separately or is it installed automatically. Running SP2.1 and it says I need to install it. I will look on the CD's to see if there is a separate install.

Thanks

I have SW03 SP05, SW04 SP03 and SW05 Beta1 all installed on the same CAD station. I have no problems running either of the versions except that I sometimes have to recheck an "add-in" in one version to make it availalbe if I have turned it off in a different version and vice-versa. My install procedure is to completely segregate the installs so that there are no comingled files. Especially have separate folders for what is usually the "common" files.

Cheers,
Kingspawn

Do you know what specific add-in the decrypter is. I just recently installed sw2004 no servicepacks on a fresh copy of xp, then did the SP2.1 upgrade. I guess I should try it again. I know there was a problem upgrading the service pack particular to that release, but I was able to install using the recommended procedure.

Thanks,
B

What version is the Pro-E file?

The following is from the help file:

"Version Information - Versions 17 through 20 of Pro/ENGINEER are supported."

But this is in the release notes:

"SolidWorks 2004 SP1.0 and higher now allows users to open encrypted Pro/ENGINEER® 2001, 2001i, and 2001i2 part and assembly files.

NOTE: The SolidWorks application cannot open encrypted Pro/ENGINEER WildFire™ files."

Therefore, if your Pro-E file is Wildfire, your SWx install is not the problem.

I have just emailed and asked if they created the parts in Wildfire. That could very well be the case. I will try to find an old pro/e file and see if it will open.

I just tried a pro/e file downloaded from some random site and I still get the same error. I guess I will try to reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back