Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting ProE drawings to DWG problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

I'm exporting Pro_E Drawings into Autocad 2000 format (DWG). However, the DWGs that I open up take on a specific style of line, font, color, dimesion, etc.

Does anybody know if I could somehow change some settings either in Autocad or Pro_E so the exported DWGs from Pro_E matches the standards that I normally use automatically? That way I don't have to go into every exported drawing and do manual changes to the layers to match the regular standards.

I would appreciate any ideas or comments.

Thanks in Advance.
SSSENGR1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used Pro/E for quite a while.
I have always had to make the changes manually.

I guess we don't live in a perfect world?

I am hoping that you get an answer to this so that I may also learn a new trick.

Live Aloha

Frank M.
Tradewind Resources

Hi, Our company wrote a program that can flavour the 2D drawings into any customer AutoCAD standard. We accomplish this by messing with the DXF code in AutoCAD. You cannot really flavour the DXF out of Pro/E as easily. you could build a set of macro's using filters in ACAD to accomplish 95% of the foot work in ACAD. Using LISP you could probably get more. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Check out my thread concerning yellow text. thread554-13324
I'm sure it won't cure all your problems, but it helped me quite a bit. Hope it helps you.

It depends which version of Pro/E you are using. 2001 added config setting to help with this. Though we are still using 2000i we have had good results agjusting the Pro/E drawing with a specific DTL file before export. We also created a dxf config file, which is loaded before exporting. A complete list of config setting can be found at Olaf Corten's website.
Good luck

Configpro

RE: Changing line colors when exporting to DXF or DWG.

You can create a text file (dxf_export.pro) that will control the line color of a Pro/E drawing object when exported to DXF or DWG.

The file "dxf_export.pro" must be placed in the current working directory when the export to .DWG is performed. More details about line color when exporting to DWG can be found at ptc.com.
1. Create a text file named dxf_export.pro
2. type 'map_color' (space) pro/e color name (space) AutoCad color number.

Example dxf_export.pro file:

map_color BACKGROUND_COLOR 0
map_color DIMMED_COLOR 4
map_color LETTER_COLOR 1
map_color HIGHLIGHT_COLOR 1
map_color EDGE_HIGHLIGHT_COLOR 5
map_color GEOMETRY_COLOR 2
map_color HIDDEN_COLOR 3
map_color SHEETMETAL_COLOR 3
map_color CURVE_COLOR 2
map_color VOLUME_COLOR 2
map_color SECTION_COLOR 4

(For a list of Pro/E color names - modify the linestyle of a sketched entity on a drawing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back