Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Converting STP files to DWG or DXF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2007
US
I did some searching in various user forms here but didn't see any posts that address my needs.

I'm looking for a program that will convert a STEP file to DWG or DXF. Autodesk used to have a program (I think it was "Inventor Fusion") that I used, but since I've upgraded my PC I can't find the original install files.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on software that will do this?. I've tried importing into my AutoCAD 2010 but no dice.

Regards,
DM

"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alibre will do that, import the step file, make a drawing of it, and export it as a DFX or DWG file.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

SparWeb - My version of AutoCAD is 2010 and it won't import the file.
Berkshire - I was hoping for something a little lower in cost since all we're doing with it is converting files.

Regards,
DM

"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."

DM2,
If you want to go cheap, download the Alibre program , for 30 days you can do what you want, then if you do not pay , it will turn into a pumpkin.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Berkshire...LOL, thanks...I always find myself having to do this, so I want something that doesn't turn into a Pumpkin at Midnight.

I'm actually trying a OpenSource program called FreeCAD as it claims to be able to import and export from and to a number of different file types. So far I've found that it need a plug in Teigha File Converter to convert to a DWG.

My first try generated a flat drawing so I'll need to educate myself on using the program a bit.

Regards,
DM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back