Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting V4 to V5 dwg

Status
Not open for further replies.

zfan03

Feb 27, 2003
US
How do you fully convert a V4 dwg to V5 if you don't have the Project files that's linked to it? I'm currently using CATIA V5 and do not have V4. How do I relay to our customer the proper way of preparing their files (V4) so it would be compatible with V5? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

V5 is a PC system and V4 is a main frame sytem.............The issue is ther can be no real linkage that alows for a one to one relationship.......Only some V5 models will be able to equal V4........ Note that a V5 model is a solid with out history and you have a solid that can't be modified in the way a V4 can be because it has a detail family tree that shows all the steps that were used to create it that allows for a steop by step modification leadind to any change you require to accomodate a desing chane!!!!!!!!! . Basicaly a V5 model is a car with out the accessories....IE doors and head lights...........are not part of the total solid via the V4.....airplaneandy

Project files are are related to the specific company that is creating the CATIA model...usally the project files are mostly needed to provide interface with text data....It is less dependent for space models..............the best direct way to solv the issue is to contact the from model supplyer and request the program format to complete the data aquinmation process. Its my thinking that "project files" are a diredt link to the vesion of CATIA that you are using..........So when you send a CATIA model to a client, its important to insure that the reciever has the same "the same release for CATIA model inquestion.". TPosibly thr senguorinf may intregul

HI,

Why dont you ask your customer to send you their PRJ files ?
And then set up V5 with that PRJ...

1 Environment for each customer...

or

only 1 Env for you and a script to change from one PRJ to the other... (I really don't know if that can be done because I didn't check if script or VBA can change that option)

Sounds not bad isn't it ?

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back