Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conveyor Guarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfie

Industrial
Oct 30, 2015
US
A company wants me to design an expanded metal guard that is easy to remove for service of the conveyor. The structure of the convey is steel. I was curious to know what the thoughts on using rare earth magnets to secure the guarding to the structure or should I simply leave holes to bolt it down. I only have a few pictures of the structure that have images of someone measuring it to go off of and this is my first time designing guarding of any kind.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it depends on how often it needs to be removed and how much they want to spend. If it's removable/openable then it probably needs an interlock. As far as magnets, I'd be skeptical as the end user, but maybe that's just me. I'd rather have tried and true, bullet proof construction.

nfie,
You are better off designing with hook latches and screws . Magnets have a nasty habit of grabbing on in the wrong places. You want the guard to always be on in the correct position. If it has to come off and on quickly, use 1/4 turn fasteners .
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

I would use magnets for the reasons said and also because the guard should be able to support the impact of a person or something else
Use bolts for supporting the guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back