Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conveyor System 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazeCHIP

Industrial
Apr 9, 2009
US
Hi,

I have been researching conveyor systems and have not been able to find anything on power and free conveyors that are not overhead. I would like the versatility of the widget stopping while the rest of the line could keep moving. I am looking to do assembly work on the conveyor and need it to be a conventional conveyor with power and free versatility. Does anyone have any information on companies in the United States that offer such a product. Thanks.

Derrick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The most common style of conveyor that does this is called a "Lineshaft" conveyor, each roller is powered by a band that goes to a drive shaft below it that runs aolng the length of the conveyor, the band is allowed to slip on a collar.

SW 2009 SP3.0
Dell Inc. Precision WorkStation 670
4096 Meg, Quadro FX 1400
DUAL DELL 2007FP DISPLAY
Windows XP PRO SP3

Derrick
There are many forms of "power and free" systems available, more commonly known as "zero pressure" in conventional conveyor systems.
The latest trends that we are using here in Australia are all sourced from Europe.
One source I would recommend is Rollex GmbH (German), and depending on your requirements, there are different scenarios.
One good example is the use of small (2" dia)motorised rollers (24 volt DC) which drive slave rollers via lineshaft drive bands, or timing belts or sprockets.
These come complete with photoelectric sensors and the required logic control to provide stopping and starting etc.

pdelnet also mentioned lineshaft type conveyors:
a simple method to create dead zones for operator utilisation is simply to drop off the drive bands in the areas that you wish the operators to work-the downside is that you have no control on product coming down the line with-out the introduction of control stops (stops are a normal means of control but it all depends on the system design and your product and budget).

Regards
Ross

There are a few companies within the US that offer the type of product you are looking for.

The main question, I guess, is do you want a turnkey solution or components and you will perform programming and mechanical work?

Adam

Power & Free and Power(ed) and Free: two different types of conveyors.
One uses a drive chain with dogs to pull a trolley(s) and load, the carrier, either floor (Inverted P&F) running or overhead running (Overhead P&F). Trolleys can be de-dogged (stationary) for process and trailing carriers are de-dogged by the stationary carrier.
The other type is a roller conveyor that uses low pressure to stop (and accumulate) the load.
Assuming you've answered this months ago, this may help new thread readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back