Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cooling floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIANNO

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2004
GR
Are there any Known results from floor cooling installations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on how cold you want the floor. We've done floors below 20 deg F....but that was for an ice skating surface. Seriously though, what is your application?

For air conditioning purposes, I've only heard of marginal successes in areas with very dry climates. In humid areas, the floors sweat.

I've known of an underfloor cooling system, it was used in a hospital. Quite low cooling levels (W/m2), but that ok for mild climates such as the UK.

Here is a link to an article where radiant floor cooling was used in a mall in San Francisco.

Rehau piping was used in this instance.

I have an installation in progress where we will be using the radiant floor piping for both heating and cooling for an atrium. The water temperature in cooling mode is reset to remain above the space dewpoint to avoid condensation on the floor. The benefit to the floor system is that the required temperature difference between the ambient and the floor does not need to be great since the surface area of the radiant panel is large. In my application the intent is to offset the solar load in the atrium. (The project should be complete in a year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back