Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cooling system hose routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenre

Mechanical
May 23, 2005
I Must be missing something obvious here.

Small Block Chev, the original design, not the newer ones.

Aftermarket manifold with outlets both sides at the rear as well as the front. An outlet on the top of the standard water pump. What is the best way to run the hoses for the heater and LPG Vapouriser?. Out of the front or rear manifold ports, but where is the best place to return the water? By coming out the top of the pump the water is going to be cooler as it has been through the radiator, would be ok for the LPG convertor, but i would prefer HOT water for the Heater, not warm. I know its only a few degrees but i dont like the cold. Im stuck to which way water is going to flow!!

Ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Kenre
Not quite clear on your description, but........The top(? inlet?) of the water pump will have the lowest pressure. You could only run it from there through the converter into some kind of recovery tank or something. I.E. it won't normally go that direction. On my vehicles, I hooked up the converter after the heater, then to the pump inlet. I'm paranoid that somehow propane could somehow make its way into the heater and leak into the passenger compartment. That will probably never happen, but I made damn sure. Yes, this will cause the temp to vary somewhat to the converter, which may affect A/F ratio. (another one of those compromise things)I've also seen many converters use a slipstream (T) after the manifold then return to another T on the pump inlet line. Don't know if this helps, but good luck.

Hi firefrog,

im unsure as to if the fitting on the very top of the pump is outlet or suction, my suspicions are it is an outlet. Anybody know for sure?

I want to try and keep the convertor at a constant temp for A/F ratio,
so im not keen on tee-ing into the heater circuit.

Im sure somone here knows the answer to my original question, which way will the coolant flow? if at all?, being the coolant will cool the cylinders and work its way up to the heads and towards the front of the engine. Will there be enough pressure difference from fromt to rear of the manifold to have enough flow?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back