Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

coordinate import

Status
Not open for further replies.

facklam

Civil/Environmental
Jan 17, 2002
DE
i need to import ACAD-Drawings with realworld coordinates but my drawing area is to small. ACAD moves the imported data. when i change the working units to manage this problem, i get another, when i change the working units backwards and scale the drawing. all coordinates go wrong. we work with a metric system of 1m, 1000mm, and 1000 pu's. Can anyone give me a hint? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think changing the working units and then scaling the drawing to fit these coordinates would work. What's the "other problem" you're running into? What do you mean "all the coordinates go wrong"?

Basically, you need to find coordinates of specific points so that you have definite reference points when you're scaling the drawing.

Thank you breaks for the immediately response. But changing the working units and scale the drawing results in this second problem. When I scale the drawing I need to choose a point to scale from. Only this point remains on its place. For example the coordinate 3476624,0 / 5474240,0 (left bottom)will then be 3,4766 / 5,4742. When I'm importing the ACAD-Drawing, my Working Units are 1:1:1. Any smaller area will cause the message: DWG must be shifted to fit the designplane. To get back to my original Working Units (1:1000:1000)now I have to scale 2 times with "as=1000" and the left top coordinates results from 3476624,0 / 5474425,0 to 3,4766 / 200,4742 instead of / 5,4743.

Changing the working units also changes the coordinates.

My advice would be to copy the ACAD file into Microstation. You should know the exact coordinates of at least 2 points in the ACAD file. Once you copy all the data into Microstation, place the entire data using one of the reference points (make sure this point is on the correct coordinate). Then check to see how far off the other coordinate is. Scale the drawing accordingly.

If you get an error concerning the amount of space in the Microstation file, change the working units to allow for this.

I didn't have too much trouble doing this, but it'll take some time. Good luck and let me know how it goes...

When you copy the plan into Microstation, it is probably shifting the design plane to get it to fit on the "sheet". What you can do is this: get your units set where you want them, and then reset the global origin to match the "real-world" coordinates. Here's how:

1. Find a point on the ACAD drawing that you know the exact coordinates of - a traverse point, etc...

2. Get your MS drawing set up how you want it.

3. Type GO=XXX.XXX,XXX.XXX, where you replace the X's with the coordinates - don't forget that the first number is the X-axis (Easting) and the second is y-axis (Northing).

4. Snap and pick the point on the drawing that has these coordinates, and the coordinate system for the entire drawing will be reset.

Apparently, V8 has fized the limited design plane problem...

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back