Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Coordinate Measuring Machine for inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCAD

Industrial
Jul 18, 2002
US
Our company is in need of a method to inspect small internal features (1/4" thru 9/16" AutoClave Medium Pressure port surfaces) of parts in the 4' long to 10' long size range and we are considering using a CMM. If we purchase a CMM it will be used to inspect numerous other items to justify the cost. In a very brief search I ran across FARO ( ).

Are there any recommendations products I should look into or stay away from?

The "portable" attribute of FARO CMM combined with a SolidWorks add-in to use our solid model files to generate the inspection program with look really attractive.

Thanks for any assistance.

Louis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are looking for something like this. Make sure that you get the opportunity to see the system demonstrated (preferrably on your own parts). Each system will have things that you will like, and dislike. It is an obvious statement but look for equipment that best fits your needs (current and future).

Regards,

There are many things to consider when purchasing a CMM.
First ask yourself some questions. Will this be a repititious checking process of your product? If so you might consider a programable DCC/CMM such as a Brown & Sharpp CMM with PC-Demis software. You can Write programs to inspect your parts automatically. Big advantage for mass MFG! Second be sure to match the accuracy of the machine to the tolerance of your product. If you would like to discuss this further let me know. I am certified on Starrett & Brown & Sharpp CMM's. I am the lead technician for a metrology lab and do custom inspections & programming on our CMM quite often!

We use a FARO-ARM on our Aircraft Flight control hinge locations and for contour verification of tooling.
You can program an Inspection function into the system.
Just be sure you purchase the Faro-arm type with the tolerance required. I believe there are 3 different tolerance ranges, at increasing prices.
The have a pretty good web site.

I am looking for information about the construction of CMM's, but can not find any good reference material. Frame and table construction, materials used and why, guidways construction, scale material and construction, types of encoders used, servo motors used, basic theory and operation, etc.

Where is good reference material with this information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back