Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copper-Based Boat Paint Ban Passes State Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

berkshire

Jun 8, 2005
US
If it becomes law California Senate Bill 623 would prohibit boat manufacturers from selling recreational vessels with copper based antifouling bottom paint after 2014, and would prohibit Recreational boat owners from using or applying copper based paint after 2018.
This bill was approved june 1st it now goes to the state assembly.
The bill exempts Military and commercial vessels. Source The San Diego Log June 10, 2011
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

I thought this was already in place? All I can buy when I get my boat hauled is ablative paint. Didn't think the copper was even still sold in the US. I know a couple cruisers in my marina (Florida) who go to Central America to get their boat work done, and that's part of the reason.

I'm not nearly as in tune with it as folks on this forum probably are, though.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

You can still buy copper based antifouling in California, for now.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Funny how it never affects the ones that it was all originally intended to affect when the epa came into being. So if its so bad why do the special folks get to use it? And what is so special about it? I'm curious. Soon all that will be available for joe blow is water base paint, and how well is that going to protect your investment?

beej67
Just because an antifouling is ablative, that does not mean that it does not, contain copper. In California some areas have banned ablatives becaus they put too much copper in the water.
Dicer,
The biggest polluter in San Diego is the Navy and they are exempt.
Go Figure.

B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back