Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copper chloride corrosion of GFN 30%

Status
Not open for further replies.

dom253

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2007
GB
Does anybody have any experience of glass filled nylon 30%, being degraded by copper chloride. The GFN components are basically turning so soft you can crumble them between your fingers.

I have an application where there purified water is used as a coolant. The purified water is chlorinated (to kill bacteria i expect). The system runs at around 40-60 degrees C, and a lot of copper piping is used in the heat exchanger to cool the reverse osmosis water. Also 7-8 barg pressure

A few things ring bells; chlorinated water, elevated temp, pressure and copper piping. Would the purified water leach minerals from the copper pipe, which would in turn mix with the copper causing copper chloride? I believe GFN and copper chloride are a no no. How bad would the corrosion be?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the problem all over or near where you add the Chlorine?

Hypochlorous acid will work on nylon. Also nylon will hydrolyze under certain conditions. I don't have any reasouces to call on to wee if Cu+ your other conditions would be condusive to hydrolysis.
For your information small amounts of Copper salts are added to molten nylon for heat stability of the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back