Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

marthab

Civil/Environmental
Nov 19, 2002
US
We are designing an office building whose main structure is a metal building system. The owner wants a copula 5'x5'x5' with metal roof panels matching the building.
The question is: Can the metal building manufacturer design the copula, or should we do it. The weight should be consider in the metal building design. I think the metal building can provide the main frame for the copula.
The sides of the copula will have glass so light will come into the building. The walls will be metal studs with EIFS.
The base of copula will be at a height of approx 25'

Any sugestions.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would let the metal building manufacturer design the cupola. If you are the EOR, you will likely review the overall design in the shop drawing phase.

Note the spelling difference- although my spell check shows "copula" is a word as well. A cupola is the thing on a caboose, which is what I assume is intended.

"The question is: Can the metal building manufacturer design the copula, or should we do it. "

To reinforce (pun intended) what archeng59 said, check out the big MBS companies like Butler, Nucor, Chief and others. Many of them have pre-engineered (sort of a pun intended) add-ons to their standard buildings. They'll also have plenty of details for portals and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back