Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy a Menu bar from a user to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmedwael

Aerospace
May 2, 2013
FR
Hi ,
I created a menu bar on my nx session with many drop down user commands (journals with explanation ) and i want to create the same menu for other users working on different computers .

is there a way to copy the menu from my pc and paste it to others ?

thank you .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you customized the text files, then you can transfer those.
If you customized the UI interactively, you should be able to save a role and transfer that.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Thanks Mark for the reply ,
Can you explain how can i save a role and then transfer it ?
I don't find any save button in the customization wizard ( Menu : Tools ----> customize ----> commands ).
I'm using NX 8.5 .

thanks .

Open the palette named Roles. It is there on the side, where you have Part Navigator, Assembly Navigator, etc. You will see an icon with two persons on it, well that's the Roles palette.
Now, click with right mouse button somewhere in this Roles palette and select New User Role. Just don't click on any icon, that is there already. In new dialogbox, enter the name of this new role, insert the image if you want and add description of the role. Click OK and the role is created.
Your role has been saved (by default) in the following directory: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Unigraphics Solutions\NX85\roles
Now, you can just copy paste your Role in the same directory on any other computer (with different user of course). For example: C:\Users\user123\AppData\Local\Unigraphics Solutions\NX85\roles. This other user will have your role on its machine.

Or, you can go to Tools/Customize and select last tab, Roles. There you can click Load and you can load your role on any other computer. Of course, for this you role must be in a shared folder.

Hope this helps.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=da44dd2b-569a-4c37-b4cc-5881c4b91b57&file=roles_palette.PNG
Thank you ,
Working very well , i just have to change the files directory for every user ,in his own computer and that's it .
Thank you very much SvenBom .

Just be aware that if you change a user's role, it will mess up any customization that user has done to their interface (add/remove icons, toolbars activated/deactivated, toolbar positioning, etc).

As an alternative, you may want to look at MenuScript. A bit more work to set up, but you can manage your customized toolbar from a central location. Any time you update it, all the users will have the most recent version the next time they start up NX.

www.nxjournaling.com

I've never used MenuScript but i will try it .
Thanks anyway .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back