Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Copy Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Copy is only available if moving by X-Y-Z, not by mates. If you want to copy w/ mates, it takes two operations--one to copy and one to move.

If you are making multiple, it may be quicker to make a pattern, then move/mate each of the patterned bodies.

Are the fasteners actually part of the weldment? Are they welded to is? Or are you more accurately working with an assembly consisting of a welded part and separate fasteners?

You can also insert those fasteners with INSERT PART and use the mate function within that command.

As I said, I am pretty rusty with SolidWorks. The file I am working with is a welded frame with sheet metal brackets. I need to add additional fasteners. It cannot be a pattern because they need to be located on a different face. The file is a .SLDPRT. I need to add 90860A111_ROUND BASE WELD NUTS W BARREL in another location.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bfb937eb-3d59-4c99-b782-0ecfaf7bf471&file=feature_tree.png
I would have done that, but I did not model this POS. It was done by another engineer who is long gone from the company. I don't want to have to redo all of the drawings. The SolidWorks video I watched shows how to copy a body by checking the copy check box, my display does not have that option. I don't know how he (the original engineer) brought part files into a .SLDPRT file.

"I need to add 90860A111_ROUND BASE WELD NUTS W BARREL in another location."
That is the exact purpose of the INSERT PART command. Learn about it and use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back