Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Copy/Extract Entire Edge of a Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzecha

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2016
US
I come from a Catia background and wanted to know if there is a function that allows me to copy/extract the entire edge of a joined surface?

I know you can copy an edge of a surface and use the Rule based features to pull a tangent, but this is not the entire perimeter of my surface.

In catia the function is called Boundary and and i just select one edge and it propagates around the entire perimeter.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seed and Boundry only works for surfaces as far as I understand.
I use it quite often for surfaces at least.

I need to create a curve from the edge of a surface.

That is basically what I figured it was, but it fails when i do that procedure.
I always just cycled through that list with right clicks.

Any other ideas when the Boundry function fails?

Fails like when i select the Boundary function from the menu it highlights exactly what i want, but when I try to copy it, it just defaults to the original segment.
It also shows me a longer segment when right clicking through my option, but when i click to select it, it goes away.

My best guess is that its a broken segment due to trash surfaces.
I have found Catia usually handles these better than Creo.

Yes, it's an imported part surface that I Seed and Boundary selected to create my mold surface.

It's probably why I never ran into problems like that - avoiding imports is key to a happy life. PTC makes vertically integrated products that aren't well suited to cleaning up other CAD system's problems. There are other CAD systems that do that better. CATIA was created when all there was was problem surfaces, so it's no doubt they inherited that, but PTC, well, it's Parametric, not fix-it, and they are in the problem avoidance business.

I'd recommend contacting Bart Brejcha at design-engine.com for some training if you get stuck. This is the sort of thing he deals with all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back