Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy/Paste with history

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossly

Automotive
Sep 22, 2003
US
What I am looking for is an method that will all associated data used to create my model. I only want to pick the final data, say a surface model that is complete. Once I copy it, I then paste it into a new file and all the construction data comes with. Is that possible?

In NX it is an export with parameters, if that helps.

Ross.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a Delete Useless Elements under the GSD --> Tools menu. It will delete unreferenced elements in relation to Partbody. Perhaps you could try to make it a closed solid under Partbody and run the command.

Regards,
Derek

Use power copy, in the "inputs of component" window you should only have the three planes, think there is an option to speed it up so it goes immediately to the root. Then create a new file and instanciate the power copy and use the "identical name" button to map the planes automatically and hit ok.

Azrael,
How do I only three planes? I need data to be exported. I have lots of construction data, axis system, surfaces etc. How does that happen with power copy?

If you pick the solid when doing a power copy it will show you the nearest founding geometries. That's how power copy works, you chose some features and it will show you which geometry is needed to recreate the wanted features in a new context rendering the features to morph according to the inputs. So as an example if a pick a solid then I will see the closest father geometries, like a skecth, line etc, if continue to choose the father geometries I will finally end up with the only the base planes och the part, one or two or all three depends how it is modelled. This power copy will recreate an identical solid with only the needed geometries.

rossly,

"Copy" and "Paste with link" would work, but you would need to go back to the linked model to make changes to the source geometry. Then the pasted model would require updating after those changes to the linked base model are made.

This is the technique used to create the linked "machined" versions of forging or casting models in CATIA V5. The link allows any changes to the forging or casting model to be easily pushed through to the subsequent machined part model.

The only issue I've encountered with this process is if you want to use the Generative Structural Analysis with a linked model, the GSA functions won't recognize many of the linked features in the model. Don't know if it's a bug in my version of GSA or if it's a more basic software issue.

For now I get around the problem by exporting/importing a .stp file of my CATIA V5 model when I want to use GSA with a copied-and-pasted-with-link model file. Of course this defeats the primary benefit of using GSA for quick stress checks of linked and easily updated CAD models, but it is still a little less laborious than doing it repeatedly in PATRAN/NASTRAN (although obviously less accurate).

Good luck.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back