Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

copy SW parts, assemblies and drawing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerPhil

Petroleum
Dec 19, 2002
GB
I have an assembly with two parts and two drawings. The drawings are related to one part and the assembly. All SW files.

I want to "copy" these 4 files to another location on my server so that I can make minor mods to diameters etc without changing the original files. This is because I need to create another product which is lossley based on these original files. I have tried a simple copy and paste through windows explorer but this also changes the original files.

I want to be lazy and not have to re-do the drawings. Is there way? I do not have PDM works and hence a vault on my server. I also do not want to create configurations. I need seperate files.

Please say I don't have to re-do the drawings!!

many thanks

Phil.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is easily accomplished through the SolidWorks Explorer and is actually the best way to handle copying SW files because it will maintain and update file reference paths in the new files. When you copy with Windows Explorer, you are just copying the files but the reference paths still point to the original file.

I have a question before I can answer, How are the original files changing exactly? If you're doing a simple copy to another folder location and then opening the file(s) from that new location then nothing ought to be happening to the originals. I do exactly what you're attempting quite often and there really isn't anything obvious in your logic that doesn't fit in with how I go about the task myself.

So the good news is that you do not have to redo the drawings or create configurations (although you really might want to consider that it may be the best course of action if this is a "similar to" design with a common parent PN).

For a different way of going about your task, try reading up on SolidWorks Explorer and using that to create file copies. I have a simple procedure written up that I don't mind sharing with you that tells you how to do this if you'd like to take a look at it. (I suppose perhaps I ought to just post is as an FAQ here because someone recently asked a similar question.)

Good luck,

Chris Gervais
Sr. Mechanical Designer
Lytron Corp.

I aggree that the SW explorer will do best what you are trying to do on a local server. I have to do something similar but the place I am copying to is at a different facility-different server. So, what I do is open the top level assembly, do a find references and copy to a temp folder. Then I zip the contents of the folder and copy the zip file to the other server. When someone unzips the file, all the referenced parts are extracted into one folder and Solidworks can find the part references.

Bob Snead
Lead Designer
Northropgrumman.com

I agree with rawheadrex. I do the copying portion all the time within windows explorer. As long as you copy all the files, no problems will occur. The problems arise when you want to change names of parts or assemblies. When you change part names (within windows explorer) the assembly and drawings won't recognize the new names. This is where SW explorer comes in handy.

There is another route, when you have the assembly open. As you save as, put the file in a new folder but before you click save, goto references in that dialog box. Inside references, will be a list of all the parts and sub-assys that are in that assy. You can browse and select your new folder to save these files in, you can also change their names at this time. With this method any in-context features will remain. All in all this method is identical to the SW explorer method but a little less intimidating to the new user. It is more step-by-step. but either will give you the outcome that you desire. A seperate Assembly and parts that already have drawings done for them.

RawheadRex and Shaggy18VW,

Maybe using a Windows Explorer copy works for you because of the way you have the Tools\Options\File Locations set. I forget the exact settings, but I know there's something in there about were to look for referenced files first. So when you open your copied assembly, it just happenes to look in the same folder as the assembly is in first for the referenced component parts and subassemblies.

We have a PDM, and if I were to do a copy like this it wouldn't work. If I did a Windows Explorer copy of any parts/assemblies that are registered in the PDM database, when I opened the copied main assembly it would look for the component parts and subassemblies according to the file location structure that was set by the PDM in the location I mentioned above. In our case, it will first look for the file in the user "Checked Out" directory, the the common "Checked In" directory, then the "Vaulted" directory. After that I don't know, probably the current file folder, then ???.

Having said all that, if the Tools\Options\File Locations settings on EngineerPhil's computer have been changed (by him or some Add-In), then it is true that a Windows Explorer copy would *not* work correctly.

Ken

Ken,

As far as I know the built-in SW algorithm has tells the program to first look in the same folder as the file being opened (i.e. the parent).

However after checking out what you brought up I found that you are correct (to a certain extent). By default, SW prefers a flat directory structure BUT if search paths are specified the file will check the locations listed AND then revert to it's default search algorithm. At least this is my understanding of things. Previously I'd thought that current directory was always FIRST in the search sequence for document references.

Thanks for the info on this twist I will keep this in mind in the future.

So to add another voice to Ken's suggestion:

EngineerPhil, check out the settings that Ken makes mention of in his posting.

Chris Gervais
Sr. Mechanical Designer
Lytron Corp.

I good habit would be to always use SW Explorer whenever working with SW files. Copying files in Windows Explorer could create unforseen problems.

Sorry everyone. I neglected to mention that I have posted an FAQ for SW Explorer in case anyone's interested.

Regards,

Chris Gervais
Sr. Mechanical Designer
Lytron Corp.

In reference to faq559-805 can't you also move the files with SW Explorer? Why mention copy & paste through Windows Explorer? Just curious... otherwise it looks fine to me.

MadMango
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back