Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy Whole Sheet From One Drawing into Another Drawing??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest4k

Industrial
Aug 31, 2005
US
Good after noon. I have a drawing with one sheet of the drawing exactly what I want, so I would like to copy it. I have a second sheet in a different drawing and I would like to paste the copied sheet into the blank sheet in the second drawing. I have tried CtlC and CtlV and nothing comes of it and I have also tried using the menu items, copy & paste, as well. Is there any way to do this? It would save me several hours of time if I could. Thank you in advance for any assistance with this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I’m not sure if you can copy the whole sheet but you can copy the views. I just did that yesterday and it saved me a bunch of time. I used the Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V with no worries, even the notes and dimensions came along for the ride. I was surprised it worked because I did it on a lark.

Firstly, I am assuming this is a sheet in a multi-sheet drawing, and that doing a simple Save As and changing references will not work.

You cannot copy the sheet itself, but should be able to copy all the views and notes therein.

If the sheet format exists, you should be able to call it into the new blank sheet via RMB > Properties.

Thanks for the responses, let me start by saying and I also just retried this, using CtlC and CtlV and all I keep getting is this message, "The item on the clipboard cannot be pasted here." Yes both of these are multi-sheet drawings and I thought about Save AS in the beginning, but I need several more sheets in the second drawing so I did not go that route, but I may have to go back and trash the current second drawing all because I can not copy the views from one drawing to another. It is a now just being a pain in the you know what.

Alright, I think I got this thing half way working now. The drawing being copied must remain open till after the paste is done. Then you can copy the views. Thanks.

If your running 2009, why not right click on the sheet tab at the bottom and choose copy. Paste this into the new drawing. It will prompt a dialog box asking you to choose before or after the existing tabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back