Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Copying a project, entirely

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg8

Industrial
Nov 15, 2005
GB
We don't use Vault. Each 'job' is created within its own folder on our server. I have 2 new 'things' to design, each very similar to one I've just finished. I planned to create 2 new folders and copy all the files from the original folder into the 2 new ones, then make the necessary changes. Is this the best way to go? If so, how do I go about bulk changing of file names (every file prefixed with original job no.)?

All ideas welcome

Mike

90% of a project takes 90% of the time...the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pack and Go or Design Assistant

Pack and Go will create a duplicate of every "file"(not just Inventor files but all related files and a new project file) that makes up an assembly or drawing and either save the folder hierarchy or combine it all to a single path. I think for your case you will want to combine to a single path.

With Design Assistant you can select the files from those that are associated with an assembly or drawing and copy, rename or replace them.

Pack and Go is more of a brute force method of getting everything and dumping it in a folder without loosing links that can be damaged by simply copying and renaming within windows.

Design Assistant is kinda kludgey but gives you more control over each individual file.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back