Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Master Model Assemblies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikrayg

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2004
US
How do you copy a part file this is a master model drawing and have it copy the master model at the same time to keep the references between the new master and new drawing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open the part file and the drawing file, file->save as... on the master file. The system will check open files to see if any reference the part, when it finds one (or more) that does it will prompt you to enter a new name for that file as well. The new files will be associated and the old files will be left in tact.

This has always been a source of aggravation for me. What if I want to copy an entire assembly and all the drawings for each component. Cloning won't do it. Once you get all the files loaded, however, I created a routine that call "Save All As" that accomplishes the task (download for free off SolidNX.com). If you have a standard naming convention, you could also write such a routine to open all the drawings for you - and then rename them.

Cheers,
-MikeN
SolidNX.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back