Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

corex gas flame temperature 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaz100

Industrial
Jul 1, 2006
GB
would anyone know what the theoretical or actual flame temperature is for corex gas when burned using 100% oxygen.
The gas is made up as follows

co 44%
co2 29%
h2 21%
h2o 2% vapour
n2 1%
ch4 3%

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gaz100:

What are you doing? You asked this same identical question in thread610-158889 of July 3, 2006. At that time I answered your question and offered to send you a copy of my spreadsheet for calculating adiabatic flame temperatures.

Why are you still asking the same question nine months later?

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

gaz100:

My profound apologies! I see that this time you are asking about combustion using 100% oxygen rather than ambient air.

Please excuse my earlier response to this question.

Milton Beychok

gaz100:

My email address is on my website, which is under my signature in the above messages. Send me your email address and I will email you a copy of the spreadsheet with instructions on how to use it and with documents including all of the underlying data.

However, I should warn you that my spreadsheet is set up to calculate the adiabatic flame temperature using air for the combustion of fuel gases, fuel oils or coals. It will not work when using pure oxygen for the combustion ... and it would take a great deal of work to alter the spread sheet for using oxygen.

Milton Beychok

Just some thoughts.

[•] Theoretical adiabatic temperatures are reduced by the decomposition of water and carbon dioxide above 1600 Celsius.
Their estimation -requiring iterations- is always based on the division of heat input by the sensible heat of the products.
[•] Actual temperatures are also diminished by radiation in "status nascendi".
[•] Combustion of hydrocarbons with air shows a maximum temperature, which due to those factors, appears sometimes at less than the stoichiometric amount of air !

If you have some of this gas and it is not a paper exercise then you could probably set it up in an acetylene torch unit and measure the flame temperature there. Obviously there are going to be some safety issues you will have to work out.

Regards

Brad Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back