Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct placement of forms and crushed stone around desk posts for swim spa concrete slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJRB

Computer
Jun 19, 2022
CA
Hi everyone, I have a question outside my realm of expertise, arising from the work of a contractor at my house.

Situation: we are pouring a concrete slab (15'x~8', thickness ~6") for a swim spa. The space is surrounded by deck posts holding the raised deck above. The contractor put his forms against the deck posts and said they would have to stay in after the pour (he used pressure treated wood for this reason). At this point he's made his base of crushed stone (he called it "recycled concrete"). A lot of the stone (5" of it in places) is held by the wood forms (as opposed to the forms being on top of it). The spa that will go on top of this weighs 13386 lbs full (with nobody inside). I'd say it can accommodate up to 10 people max, for another 2000 lbs. I'm attaching photos showing the overall setup and how the stone is held by the forms, which are held by the deck posts.

My concern: I'm worried this is a dangerous setup for the stability of the deck posts. My main concern is that the combined pressure of the concrete slab and the full spa will create a significant lateral pressure on the remaining forms and the posts, which could result eventually in posts moving and the deck becoming unstable. I'm also concerned that movement in the slab due to heaving could pull the posts up (we are in Ontario, Canada, and the ground underneath is clay). We don't expect the ground under the slab to freeze as long as the spa is functioning, but it could be out of service at some point.

Photos:
IMG_4142_m2x8am.jpg
IMG_4141_qzfbd6.jpg
IMG_4128_1_dwolbo.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The wet concrete will only apply about 75 pounds per square foot lateral pressure against the base of the form boards. That pressure will end as the concrete cures.

The total pressure on the gravel base will only be on the order of 130 pounds per square foot. (13,400 + 2,000)/(15*8) ≅ 130 psf.

If it were my project, I would request the form boards be removed after the concrete cures and achieves initial set. I would also request a small space between the columns and form boards. These are just for peace of mind, until you consider the potential for frost heave.

The frost heave is the main reason I would want separation between the slab and the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back