Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct Pressure Gauge range 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iomcube

Chemical
Dec 11, 2015
TR
Say a vessel's operating pressure is 12 barg & its design pressure is 27 barg. A PSV on it has a set pressure of 25.4 barg.

Now I want to install a pressure gauge on it; what is the range I should select? Any standards or guidelines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

May refer to ASME B40.100 for the recommendation of the pressure gauge selection to meet the operation requirement, i.e. range, accuracy, etc.

The rule is that overpressuring a mechanical gauge exceeds the pressure element's elasticity and 'stretches' the element creating a permanent offset and probably a gain error. It does, but there's a small margin of overpressure beyond the maximum scale value that does not affect the gauge..

Standard gauge ranges are 0-16, 0-25 and 0-40 bar.

The 0-25 bar range puts the normal operating pressure at mid scale which is the perfect condition under which to run a pressure gauge.

Proof Pressure is a rating which is the maximum pressure a gauge can withstand without evidence of change in accuracy.

Proof pressures per ASME B40.100 (except retard and differential pressure gauges) ranges up to 1000psi have a proof pressure of 130% of span. (25 bar is roughly 375 psig).

So the 25.4 relief pressure is less than 2% just beyond the maximum scale value, well within the 130% proof pressure rating.

The other thing you need to be careful of though is that gauges often come with end stops - some visible, some not.

So you can't see if in fact the pressure is higher than your max range by a quick visual glance... so in the case above a 0-25 will simply stop reading / indicating at around 24-25 bar.

I don't think that is good practice myself.

Neither really are over range protectors which do a similar function.

Ever thought of a battery powered pressure guage?
Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The use of a zero stop pin on non-compound range gauges is nearly universal.

The use of a maximum (overpressure) stop pin is far less common, but the ones I've seen are positioned beyond the 100% scale position to allow for some overrange pressure above the scale maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back