Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corroded Cross Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzbromp

Civil/Environmental
Jul 26, 2006
US
I am looking for opinions on the evaluation of corroded steel W-sections.

When you have a new section, it is easy enough to calculate your sectional modulus, and your maximum bending and shear stresses. Regarding your allowables, you can easily determine if you are compact, non-compact, or slender and come up with your allowable stresses.

When you start to look at a beam that has been in place for awhile, and exhibits heavy pitting along the bottom of the web and bottom flange, how do you determine your allowable stress, and your actual stress?

I have seen people estimate thickness loss and come up with a sectional modulus based on this. Would you also use this assumed thickness loss as your complete thickness for your b/t and h/t ratios to determine your allowable stresses? If the web started to get very thin, would horizontal shear flow be an issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I forgot to ask, does anyone have any good references to read regarding the evaluation of deteriorated existing members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back