Corroded Steel Column With Hole Repair Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Michael

Civil/Environmental
Aug 10, 2023
MY
Hello All,

Just needed any recommendations as to how this can be repaired without needing to replace a portion of this bottom part of the column (like a splice and plated connection). I have attached an image of this here.

Steel_Column_1_rwoxl4.jpg

Are there any remedial methods that can be done before having to resort to replacement of this bottom part?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could reinforce the bottom 1.5' (maybe 2' or whatever) with something like this. Weld the plates to the flange and the base plate and then weld the other two plates across the toes of the new plates and to the base plate. You can fill the space in the web with 'sackcrete' to prevent it from filling with debris.

Clipboard01_o2s23k.png

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

or

Col_Reinf_Conc_yoaioj.png

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Hi dik,

Thank you for contributing a top-plan view approach of using the steel plates and sackcrete.

If let's say I would weld the steel plates on the web instead on each side (instead of the flange, there doesn't seem to be any holes at these sides), would that be sufficient enough to restore the integrity of the steel column?

Welded_Steel_Plate_to_Web_of_Steel_Column_p3tl2n.png

Yup... just a matter of doing the 'sums'... and done.

-----*****-----

-Dik

The flanges appear to be degraded also; check thicknesses, widths after cleaning up the rust, etc.
Then run a full set of calcs.
And maybe better to reinforce web AND flanges just to be conservative.

Mark, what is your relationship to this request? Are you the general contractor, the project owner, a consultant engineer, a trade, or something else?

I wouldn't bother running any calcs - clean the column and install the plates to restore column section. The cost of the calcs is greater than the cost of reinforcing, and the client is much better served with the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back