Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion Allowance in High Pressure Steam Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

rj13103

Petroleum
Oct 16, 2009
IR
Can some one advise me, how much is the corrosion allowance for high pressure steam pipeline.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whatever the owner wants. I have seen 1/8" used on a few projects; however, that number is meaningless because you have not provided enough information for anyone to guess at the potential corrosion issues. When all is said and done, once you determine if corrosion will be an issue (both under the insulation and inside the pipe) you can make a recommendation to the owner and let them decide.

Is this a B31.1 or B31.3 line? What code are you building the line to?

Actually we have a Steam Super Heater in our Reformer package that it's interconnection piping, is in Reformer vendor's scope of work, and Vendor has said in his proposal, don’t consider any corrosion allowance for these pipes(High Pressure Steam Pipes) as per ASME but has not defined, which part of ASME.

Which pressure? High pressure is somewhat vague. Which material?

Usually corrosion allowance is established by the end user. ASME codes do not report any corrosion allowance formula.

You have to establish a design life (DL) and a corrosion rate (CR). Your corrosion allowance is:

CA = DL(year) x CR (inch/year)

NACE (National Association of Corrosion Engineers) has a wealth of useful data.

rj...

You state:

"Vendor has said in his proposal, don't consider any corrosion allowance for these pipes(High Pressure Steam Pipes) as per ASME but has not defined, which part of ASME"

ASME piping and pressure vessel codes define a "corrosion allowance" to enable the designer to consider the effects of future wastage.....either corrosion or erosion or whatever.

The specific allowance for "corrosion" always comes form the piping or vessel purchaser.....it is not stated within any ASME code or standard.

This is because only the purchaser knows his particular process conditions.

My opinion only

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back