Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion chart !! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgabrasives

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2015
US
Hello,
I am new to the site and I was looking for a chart that would give me corrosion resistance after a part is machined from standard bar, and also after it is heat treated?
I have looked and cant find anything that can give me information for the corrosion resistance. I was looking for a chart that would have carbon steels, maybe another with alloy steels, and maybe another with Stainless steels(or maybe one with all).
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contact Compass Publications and buy the Chemical Resistance Guide for metals and Alloys, it is about $200.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Hello,
EngMonkey, thanks a lot for the PDF, a couple of times at work, the manufacturing maintenance guy has come up to me with a rusted out part from a machine and said we need to make this replacement part.
Of course these machines are not made anymore and cant buy the part so we make it.
So need to find material that we can buy and our machine shop can handle to make the part.
in these cases i need a chart to compare the corrosion resistance of materials because i would only have a couple of choices that are available in the size we need and that the machine shop can handle.
We make diamond dicing blades and the machines used to lap the blades see accelerated wear from the diamond slurry running through them.
in this case i had 1018 and 4140 as available for the part.
EdStainless- I will definitely look for the book as reference

thanks for your help.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6eee3654-a3e1-4eb0-8b1e-c95461f7fa7c&file=File_Mar_25,_3_18_07_PM.jpeg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back