Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

corrosion due to magnetic field? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanobot29

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2011
US
i have an electric motor that's submerged in water/glycol. after 1000 hrs of testing, i noticed two regions of corrosion or pitting 180 degrees from eachother. the corrion only effects the ends of the magnetic region of the rotor (see attached sketch). does anyone know what may have caused this? my guess is that it was caused by the magnetic field but i was hoping someone could help me understant the physics or chemistry behind it.

rotor material: inconel 625
motor power: 1.8 MW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there is a magnetic field then there is a voltage.
If there is a voltage it is possible that you created conditions for galvanic corrosion.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

To explain it in simple, the magnetic field cause high ions movement in the electrode surface / electrolyte. So the corrosion rate will be high when the movement of ions are increased by the magnetic field. The para magnetic particles will be accumulated in the high magnetic field density area than the low magnetic field area. This will ensure a faster cell formation and faster corrosion.

It is possible to have slow corrosion rate due to magnetic field based on the material , electrolyte, electrodes.

BR
Vijay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back