Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion Inhibitor: Tef-Gel vs LanoCote vs White Lithium Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunstructures

Structural
Feb 16, 2005
US
Hello,
I have a structure that requires 18-8 stainless steel bolts and 6061-T6 Al beams and channels to be isolated against galvanic corrosion. I have seen good reports on Tef-Gel ( this purpose, based on marine applications, and in searching the web, also found that Lanocote ( )is used for similar marine applications. This leads me to believe that Lanocote could work as well to isolate the SS from the Al . Finally, with cost in mind, why couldn't I use a white lithium grease ( ) to isolate the SS from the Al? There are a few PTFE enhanced synthetic lithium greases ( DuPont: , or LPS: , and others... ) that seem to be a good choice. Is the PTFE adding anything to the corrosion protection compared to teh cheaper basic white l;ithium grease? Essentially, the Tef-Gel, Lanocote, and lithium greases are keeping moisture out of the dissimilar metal joint, so it seems that any of these 3 should perform equally well. My application is NOT a marine application. My application is for a roof structure in an (polluted) urban atmosphere. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back