Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Corrosion of a fittings in a stainless steel vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinMechEng

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2007
US
I am testing a structure inside a stainless steel vessel filled with sea water. The structure has a brass fitting and several titanium fasteners. Neither the fitting nor fasteners come in contact with the vessel or each other but will be aprroximately 1 foot away from the vessel walls and each other.

Will the brass fitting or titanium fasteners corrode? If so, can I use a sacrificial anode such as zinc to prevent corrosion? Is their any other way to prevent corrosion or isolate the fittings and/or fasteners?

Thanks for the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Additional Note:

-The structure is plastic (non-conductive)
-There are no direct metal-to-metal contacts or any other electically conductive paths betweeen dissimilar metals aside from the salt water

My main question is whether dissimilar metals will produce a galvanic pair when immersed in salt water but not in direct contact.

It would be advisable to install a sacrificial anode in the tank. Two dissimilar metals in a salt solution constitutes a battery and the inferior metal will deplete. I sometimes used to put a piece of junk metal in a tank to feed the negative ion monster. Crude , but it works and ok if it does not contaminate your processs.

Offshore Engineering&Design

If you have multiple pieces of metal it is possible that there will be enough difference in potential between them that you will see some corrosion.
I am more concerned with the brass simply corroding on its own.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back