Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion on Air-Cooler tube plugs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuizSouza

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2001
BR
Dear Fellows,

At our plant we're experiencing corrosion on ID air-coolers CS tubes, the solution we've found is to plug those tubes with plugs made of the same material of the tubes. My question: Does those plugs will not corrode just like the tubes, as the corrosion cause wasn't still found? Could use SS plugs?

Thanks and very Happy New Year

Luiz Souza
Wood Group Brazil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would stay with matching materials. Introducing another material may create other issues.
Are all of the tubes corroding? No, only some. This may be due to minor variations in material or flow. How do the tubesheets look? If they look pretty good then using plugs of that same material should work fine.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Non-metallic plugs would be my first choice. If a metallic plug is considered a better or only option, then I cuncur 100% with previous advice to match the materials as closely as possible.

Also Thanks, mshimko,
But, what kind of non-metallic plugs? It's easier to have on hand CS to produce the plugs, concern to non-metallic, we should keep it as parts.

Agree with EdStainless, keep the tube plug material the same as the tubes. If you are experiencing internal tube corrosion, you may need to investigate injection of an inhibitor(s), neutralizing and/or filming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back